6

tweet_rally_r1_c1Now that Oprah is on twitter will the soccer moms surely follow? That’s the expectation and buzz among twitter veterans. Supposedly 10 percent of the population is now actively tweeting. So for the other 90 percent, here are seven tips I’ve learned that may help you if you’re a newbie to twitter.

1. Fill out your profile.  Be sure to describe yourself. your work and/or your passions in your profile. When others view you and decide whether or not to follow you that is the first place  they will look. If there’s nothing there they may not follow you back. Furthermore, a profile helps determine if indeed there is someone you clearly do NOT want to have following you.  Then you can block them if necessary (I’ve only had to do this a handful of times.)

2. Use a nice photo or likeness of yourself. People relate to people as human beings and like to look at pictures of one another. It helps in relationship building as well as in building your personal brand.

3. Do not lock your updates. If you are afraid of who might be following you please reference #1 above.

4. Share, Share, Share.  Twitter is all about being helpful and friendly to others. It’s about relationship building. Share pertinent information and links. I have found that the good twitter karma always comes around.

5. Blatant advertisers are pests. Please read my previous post “How twitter is like the Junior Prom.” You know who you are!

6. Use search.twitter.com to follow trends. This is a really handy search that keeps me up on “the news” often before the traditional media has caught on.

7. #Followfriday.  On Fridays you will see people using the hashtag #followfriday. They will post the twitter names of interesting people who they enjoy following and you can then follow those people. It’s one more part of the  positive twitter karma.

(Oh, and bonus tip to Oprah and other newbies: Just like on e-mail, please do not post  in all cap’s. People will think you are shouting.)

Hope this helps you and happy tweeting!

Continue Reading