Now that regular folks are joining NFL football players in getting in on the social media microblogging phenomenon, it’s time to review some twitter etiquette (twittiquette). Since I’ve been active on twitter for a year and am a public relations professional, I guess that makes me qualified to be the Miss Manners of twitter!
- Always use a photo or if you’re a company use your logo. People want to engage with other people, not brown circles.
- Fill out your profile. Give people a brief idea of who you are. This is your chance to shine. Consider it a very brief elevator speech that you get to provide to the whole world.
- Don’t mention any kind of quick fix scheme. Please! If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Do not use DM’s to spam. It didn’t take me long to figure out how to turn those auto DM’s off and others will do the same. That is how NOT to engage your audience.
- Follow Friday. This is twitter karma at its best. Unless someone looks like a spammer, if they give you a shout-out be courteous and return the favor (particularly if it’s someone you know.)
When it all comes down to it just follow the golden rule of twitter. Tweet others as you would have them tweet you.