Some time ago I created a video and a blog post called “Ten tips to feel comfortable on camera”  I got the idea after chatting with my friend Maria Peagler of SocialMedia OnlineClasses.com. Maria mentioned that many of her students are afraid to appear on camera. She knew that I once worked in television news and she also knew I loved helping people build their personal brands. We live in a society that is more and more camera and particularly video- camera conscious. Recently Maria asked me if she could turn those video tips into an infographic to help her camera shy students. She teaches them ways to profit from YouTube videos.  I said, “absolutely!” and here is the resulting infographic. Could you or one of your colleagues benefit from this infographic? If so please share it! Which tips resonate with you?

On camera do's and don'ts

On camera do’s and don’ts

Follow me on twitter @MarketingMel.

Option 1: Comment Using Facebook

comments

Option 2: Comment Using WordPress

14 Responses to “Video Tips for a YouTube World”

1. Love it! I’m curious about #9!?

I also love that you created your won infographic with someone – very cool!

PS. I’d expand on #1 for my anxious clients…work on food/nutrients so you can feel calm! Zinc and GABA are great ones!

• maryellen says:

Thanks Trudy. It has been proven that women in particular study other women’s hands. So just be sure to have a nice manicure. Thanks for your healthful suggestions for calming!

2. Andrew Burns says:

From a production standpoint, I would add to look and smile at the camera at least one second before and after you shoot your video. A common mistake is to either not smile and/or immediately look away after saying your last word. The result, at the beginning or end is an awkward edit.

• maryellen says:

Outstanding advice Andrew and thank you for commenting! As someone who worked for seven years in TV news we always had to begin and end by looking at the camera. I also like your advice to smile, smile, smile! Scowls really don’t look good on camera.

3. Great tips! I also think you should talk to the camera as if you are talking to a friend and look directly into the camera so that you give the feeling of talking directly to the viewer.

Best,

Katherine

Katherine C. H. E.
    Author, Be True Rich

• maryellen says:

Good advice if you are in a situation where you should be looking at the camera. If you are talking to a reporter however I recommend that you speak to the reporter so as not to appear insincere. Thanks Katherine.

4. I really like this infographic, easy to read and lots of great tips. Shared it on G+ for you, Mel.

5. Jessica says:

I’m launching new videos for my audience soon, and I can’t check off 2- #4 because I’m in entertainment my jewelry looks “Oscar ready” and #10- I am a New Yorker so I just talk 🙂 I keep them under 7 minutes though..

Great tips!

6. Love the infographic, Mel. I’m curious about #9, “Don’t forget Your Nails.” Obviously you wouldn’t want uneven or dirty nails, but what would you recommend? I’m not a fan of nail polish on my finger nails.

• maryellen says:

Tiffany, particularly women, look at a speaker’s hands. If you don’t like nail polish be sure to have clean, well manicured and filed nails!

7. maryellen says:

Thanks again Maria for the shout out on my How to Be Comfortable on Camera Video!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Small Business Content Marketing Case Study: 30 Days of Marketing - February 25, 2014

[…] Mary Ellen Miller guest posted at my local social media blog in 2011 on How to Be Comfortable on Camera.  She was excited about the checklist I developed for the webinar (based on her guest post and video), and shared it on her blog MarketingMel. […]